For more than thirty years, David Bedein, social worker and investigative reporter, has worked to bring the scandal of UNRWA to public attention. Why call it a scandal?
For one good reason: Unlike any othe refugee agency in the world, UNRWA works to keep millions of refugees as refugees in perpetuity, instilling false hope in the lives
of five million descendents of Arab refugees from the 1948 that they would be repatriated to Arab villages that existed beore 1948.
Even worse, the school books used by 515,000 students who learn in UNRWA schools, translated in its entirety by professionals hired by Bedein, shows that the UNRWA curriculum indoctrinates every UNRWA school child to devote their lives to the “right of rerturn”- by force of arms.
What can be done to reform UNRWA?:
- Cancel the UNRWA war curriculum, based on Jihad, martyrdom and the “right of return by force of arms”.
- Cease paramilitary training in all UNRWA schools. It is an absurdity that UNRWA, a UN agency with a purported commitment to “peace education”, allows such arms training on its premises.
- Insist that UNRWA dismiss employees affiliated with Hamas in accordance with laws on the books in western nations that forbid aid to any agency that employs members of a terrorist organization.
- Introduce UNHCR standards to UNRWA to advance the resettlement of fourth and fifth generation refugees from the 1948 war. These people have spent some seven decades relegated to refugee status. Current UNRWA policy is that any refugee resettlement would interfere with the “right of return” to pre-1948 Arab localities. By adopting the political stance of Palestinian maximalists, UNRWA flouts its own commitment to the welfare and future of Palestinian refugees
- Demand an audit of donor funds which emanate from 68 naitons. This would address widespread documented reports of wasted resources, duplication of services and an undesired flow of cash to the Gaza-based terror groups that have controlled UNRWA operations there for the past 18 years.
- Since UNRWA recently hired a “youth idol,” Muhammad Assaf, to travel the world to encourage insurrection and violence. This would be an appropriate time to demand that UNRWA cancel its contract with such a promoter of violence, who has no role to play in UN education, whose theme is “Peace Begins Here”
THE TIME HAS COME TO RENDER SUPPORT FOR THE UNRWA REFORM INITIATIVE, IN EVERY LEGISLATIVE BODY IN THE WORLD THAT FUNDS UNRWA
HOW SUPPORT CAN BE RENDERED: