Since a primary subject that our office covers is UNRWA, allow me to say that the following article is well intentioned yet misleading.
No changes can be made in UNRWA without the approval of the UNGA, which will never happen, because of their automatic anti Israel majority.
Therefore, UNRWA cannot be weaved into the UNHCR
Moreover, the Islamic Arab states are now increasing their UNRWA funding.
Saudi Arabia last year became the third largest donor to UNRWA, and Qatar is now spreading its influence in UNRWA education.
IF the US and other Western nations pull out of UNRWA, then we will see sudden Islamic domination of the UNRWA education system, where 492,000 students now learn in a system that has become moreradical than ever.
Our office has completed one year of translations all the PA school books used in UNRWA schools, and the incitement in these schools would only get worse.
Please read talking point number 7 to learn how to facilitate UNRWA reform.
The following points address our first comprehensive study of PA/UNRWA text books, as commissioned by the Simon Wiesenthal Center and the Middle East Forum
- This is the study:
- Newsworthy items taken from those new PA/UNRWA textbooks:
- Analysis of the UNRWA role in the education of Palestinian Arab children
- UNRWA response dismissed the study out of hand:
- Factual refutation by the authors of the study to UNRWA response:
- Statement from The Center For Near East Policy Research to the UNRWA response
- UNRWA Policy reform: condition funds to UNRWA on reforms that are consonant with UN values:
- Short Investigative Movies of UNRWA, filmed on location:
9. Having covered UNRWA education for thirty years, at no time have the US or the EU ever been given the opportunity by UNRWA or the PA to review or approve textbooks used in any PA or UNRWA school.
Former U S ambassador to the UN, John Bolton said the Trump administration should withhold funding to the U.N.Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA),which ministers to Palestinian “refugees” (Three generations of them – almost as sick as our own US Welfare System)
Bolton argued the financing should be held back until UNRWA is abolished and any of its “legitimate functions” absorbed into the office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, which attends to all refugees world-wide besides the Palestinians. ”I think the UNRWA ought be abolished and it’s legitimate functions folded into the UN High Commission.
It is anomalous, to say the least, that refugee status can be deemed to be inheritable from generation to generation. That is something that the world has never seen before.
And, I have seen UNRWA’s work on the ground. It is highly politicized. continued Bolton: It’s basic culture is very anti-Israel – to say the least.
It would be anti-American more visibly if we didn’t give it hundreds of millions of dollars every year. And, I think the only way to shake things up is to abolish this agency entirely and to put its functions into the High Commissioner’s office.”
According to reports, the Trump administration has pledged to continue providing the annual US contribution at more that $300 million per year.
The US is, of course, the UNRWA’s single largest donor with fellow Arab nations giving virtually nothing to their own supposed cause!