Jerusalem – Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez announced his country’s preparedness to export 20,000 barrels of gasoline to Iran as soon as October.
Speaking in a joint press conference with his Iranian counterpart Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad here in Tehran on Sunday, Chavez reiterated that the two countries have signed an agreement in this regard.
Chavez’s remarks came as the US tries to put energy sanctions on Iran and cut off the country’s fuel supplies in a bid to force Tehran to halt its peaceful nuclear program.
To force Tehran to halt its nuclear activities, the US Senate has approved a bill to put pressure on companies selling gasoline to Iran.
According to the bill, companies that continue to sell gasoline and other refined petroleum products to Iran will be banned from receiving US Energy Department contracts to deliver crude to the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
Despite lying on large oil reserves, Iran only produces 60 percent of its domestic gasoline demand and imports the remaining 40 percent.