Now that the UN General Assembly has granted a new lease on life to UNRWA, Will leading UNRWA donor nations – Germany, Japan, Canada, the UK, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy, France and Australia, insist on reasonable conditions for UNRWA mandate renewal, to ask that UNRWA act according to UN values:
1. Canceling the new UNRWA curriculum, which incorporates principles of Jihad, martyrdom and “right of return” by force of arms, in UN schools that are supposed to promote the UNRWA slogan of “Peace Starts Here.”
2. Putting an end to paramilitary training in all UNRWA schools, in violation of UN principles and international law.
3. Dismissing employees endorsed by Hamas, which won control of the UNRWA workers union and UNRWA teachers union in Gaza in consecutive elections over the past 20 years.
4. Demanding an audit of all donor funds. Since the UN itself does not provide direct funds, Monies flow to UNRWA from 67 donor nations, often in cash. There is no evidence of a serious audit going on, amidst widespread reports of wasted resources, duplication of services and flow of UNRWA cash to terrorist groups and organized crime.
5. Introducing standards of UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) to advance resettlement of Arab refugees from 1948 in decent, permanent conditions, after 70 years of stagnation.
Everything depends on the major UNRWA donor nations.
Contact information for each UN ambassador of the major donor nations can be found on the web site of the UNCA, the United Nations Correspondents Association: