Giora Eiland, head of the Israel National Security Council, working directly under the authority invested in him by Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon,informed the foreign media on June 20th, 2004 that Arik Sharon cannot get legal sanction nor the budget from the Knesset in time for the government to fund and organize a pullout from Katif next year.
Eiland explained that the money is simply not in the government budget.
Unless it is budgeted by October 31, 2004, the pullout cannot be financed over the coming year.
Since the Eiland briefing was provided for the foreign media and not for the local media, the Israeli public is simply not aware of the fact that Sharon is operating without legal standing or government funding to implement his policy for unilateral demolition of the Jewish communities of Katif, and, in accordance with Clause Five of the Sharon Plan, at www.pmo.gov.il, to train the PLO armed forces with the help of the US, UK, Egypt and Jordan
Therefore, Israeli government TV and radio news stations report every hour on the hour that Israeli withdrawal is imminent.
Meanwhile, The Israel Democracy Institute and a plethora of other non-government institutions are advising the Israeli government to proceed with the withdrawal anyway, in the best interests of the country.
When members of the Israeli Knesset confronted Sharon with the illegality of his moves, Sharon shot back with the statement that “You must be very naive to think that I am not going to implement this accord”.
Indeed, since Judea, Samaria, and Katif are ruled by Israel military law, Sharon has the power to carry out a ten point program to implement his policy:
- Arrest all leadership in these communities under the laws of administrative detention that were used during the British mandate.
- Declare martial law in all of these communities.for “security reasons”.
- Block traffic in all roads which lead to Judea, Samaria and Katif.
- Submit a legal writ to the Israel Attorney General which would declare opposition to evacuation as a crime comparable to sedition. Stall all legal action against the withdrawal while it is taking place
- Dispatch troops to Katif before forced evacuation.
- Request foreign troops for Gaza, beginning with Egypt, the UK and the US.
- Transform the media image of the Jewish residents of Judea, Samaria and Katif into parasites and traitors
- Launch a campaign abroad to intimidate Jewish organizations against protest
- Activate ‘Agentes provocateurs’ to orchestrate radical activity.
- Place all residents of Katif into makeshift prison camps until alternative homes are available, while Sharon orders their farms and communities burnt to a crisp.