US is a prime funder of UNRWA education. Therefore US Congress conducted its first GAO study of new PA texts used in UNRWA schools Yet the US State Department has now asked Congress to not publicize the GAO investigation of PA/UNRWA school books.
Ten selections From new UNRWA textbooks introduced in 2018*:
- A terrorist attack on an Israeli civilian bus by molotov cocktails is described in a story as “a barbecue party [haflat shiwaa in Arabic] – Arabic Language, Grade 9, Part 1 (2017) p. 61.
- A verse in a poem describes the fate of the Jews in the country following its supposed liberation: “I swear! I will sacrifice my blood to water the land of the noble ones, to remove the usurper [code name for Israel] from my land and to exterminate the remnants of the foreigners…” – Our Beautiful Language, Grade 3, Part 2 (2017) p. 64.
- A picture of Dalal al-Mughrabi, who led the terrorist attack on an Israeli bus on the Coastal Highway in 1978, in which over thirty civilians – men, women and children – were murdered, appears alongside a text describing her as a martyr who “painted with her struggle a picture of challenge and heroism which has made her memory eternal in our hearts and minds.” – Arabic Language, Grade 5, Part 2 (2017) p. 51.
- The refugees will return to their former places of residence which will be part of sovereign Palestine: “We shall return to hoist Palestine’s flag… on our green hills.” – Arabic Language, Grade 5, Part 1 (2017) p. 82.
- A cartoon appears in one of the books showing an Israeli bulldozer digging beneath the mosque on the Temple Mount thus explicitly accusing Israel of planning to destroy it – Social Studies, Grade 7, Part 1 (2017) p. 64.
- A poem describes the Jews as the Devil’s aides in the context of Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem – Arabic Language, Grade 7, Part 1 (2017) p. 66
- The Hebrew inscription is erased from a coin of the British Mandate period – Mathematics, Grade 6, Part 2 (2017) p. 63.
- Another piece denies the Jews’ share in Jerusalem’s history: “Jerusalem is an Arab city built by our Arab forefathers thousands of years ago. Jerusalem is a holy city for Muslims and Christians.” – National and Social Upbringing, Grade 3, Part 1 (2017) p. 28.
- An assignment next to a map of the whole country under the name “Palestine” presents Israel’s pre-1967 territory as occupied Palestine: “We will distinguish between the Palestinian cities occupied by the Zionists in 1948 and the ones that they occupied in 1967.” – Social Studies, Grade 7, Part 1 (2017) p. 56.
- The whole country appears in one color with the name “Palestine” next to it and with the Palestinian flag flown above – National and Social Upbringing, Grade 4, Part 1 (2017) p. 7.
- Full texts at IsraelBehindTheNews.com
Time has come to ask Congress and the Trump Administration to ignore the request not to publicize their own investigation