With all the recent publicity afforded to the administrative indiscretions of UNRWA, the time has come to focus on a more vital aspect of this refugee agency: education.
After all, UNRWA allocates 54% of its $1.2 billion dollar budget allocated by 67 nations, to education.
In that context, the staff of Israel Resource News Agency at the Center for Near East Policy Research has, since August 1, 2000, engaged a blue ribbon team of journalists who hold advanced degrees in Islamic Studies, to translate and examine all school books issued by the Palestinian Authority Ministry of Education for 321,000 UNRWA students, age 6 to 16.
In the newest PA schoolbooks, used by UNRWA, all areas settled by “Zionists” are defined for the Arab school child as occupied and illegal, with the explicit command given to obliterate them.
In fact, the UNRWA school system (which also operates in Arab refugee camps in Jordan, Syria and Lebanon) now calls for a violent “right of return by force of arms” to all lands lost to the Arabs in 1948
In that context, we engage journalists to film terrorist indoctrination in the UNRWA schools, along weapons instruction with live ammunition, conducted for all UNRWA students, with live weapons.
The time has come for donor nations to defuse the toxic UNRWA powder keg: This can be accomplished in six steps.
1. Cancel the new UNRWA curriculum that incorporates principles of Jihad, martyrdom and a “right of return” by force of arms, in UN schools which are supposed to promote the UNRWA slogan of “Peace Starts Here.”
2. Cease paramilitary training in all UNRWA schools. UNRWA would then demonstrate a commitment to UN principles for peace education.
3. Insist that UNRWA dismiss employees affiliated with Hamas/ in accordance with laws on the books in Western nations, which forbid aid to any agency that employs members of a terrorist organization.
4. Insist that UNRWA cancel its contract with “youth ambassador” Mohammad Assaf, who travels the world encouraging violence.
5. Insist on an independent audit of donor funds that flow to UNRWA This would address widespread documented reports of wasted resources, duplicity of services and the undesired flow of cash to Gaza-based terror groups, which gained control over UNRWA operations in Gaza during the past 18 years.
6. Introduce UNHCR standards to UNRWA to advance the resettlement of Arab “refugees.” – the millions of descendants of the original “refugees”, (today about 20,000 ) many of whom left due to promises made by Arab countries in 1948 that they would wipe out the Jews, whose homes could be taken over shortly.